The Practice carried on by Kirwan & Kirwan Solicitors was established at No. 1 Rowe Street, Wexford, in 1864 by Peter O’Flaherty Solicitor of Enniscorthy and Wexford. The Practice was carried on in Rowe Street and in Enniscorthy by three generations of the O’Flaherty Family, and then three generations of the Kirwan family. Laurence Kirwan, Grandfather of our former partner Peter Kirwan, was apprenticed to Bernard J. O’Flaherty and qualified as a Solicitor in July 1924. On the death of Bernard O’Flaherty, Laurence Kirwan purchased the Wexford Practice from his Estate.
Laurence Kirwan’s son, Thomas J. Kirwan, qualified as a Solicitor in 1936 and joined the Practice. The Firm then became known as Kirwan & Kirwan. Both Laurence and Thomas J. Kirwan were medal winning students and erudite Lawyers, and were both deeply involved in the cultural and charitable life of the town of Wexford. In 1973, Thomas J. Kirwan’s son Peter qualified as a Solicitor and joined the Practice. He retired in 2017. The Firm therefore has been in existence over six generations of the O’Flaherty and Kirwan families.
Hover mouse over images to reveal
In 1991, the needs of an expanding Firm required a move to the new and larger premises which the Practice now occupies at Cornmarket, Wexford.
Our Partner Tim Cummings joined the Firm as an Apprentice in March 1997 and qualified as a Solicitor in March 2000. In 2006, he became a Partner in the Firm.
Ms. Eleanor O’Farrell joined the Firm in 1979 and became Office Manager in succession to Mr. Paddy Rossiter, who retired from the Firm after almost 50 years of outstanding service. Having reared her family, Eleanor continued her education as a mature student and qualified as a Solicitor in 2009 becoming a partner in 2017.
Tim Cummings and Eleanor O’Farrell took over the practice in November, 2017 and carry on the proud tradition of serving and advising the people of Wexford at Kirwan & Kirwan